Whoa, what’s happening here? You started out so keen to get ripped and get the body you wanted, and now I see you collapsed on the sofa, eating a Mars bar and watching Mad Men on TV? Okay, I’ll admit, Mad Men is good, but if you’re watching it when you’re supposed to be working out, something has gone badly wrong.
I’ll say this, and I’ll say this only once, so listen up. Step away from the sofa. Now!
It happens to the best of us sometimes. If you’re not seeing results as quickly as you’d like, or you simply don’t feel ‘in the mood’, it’s all too easy to flake out in front of a film instead, and exercise your arm by lifting the remote control, rather than those weights.
If it’s happened to you, it’s time to put things right; and pronto. Here’s some great tips to get you back on track with your exercise program.
Insider’s Tips to Staying On-Program
- Plan your week in advance. Never underestimate the power of a structured training plan. Good training plans aren’t just about exercising in the correct way to ensure progression, they are also about creating winning habits brought about from structure and accountability.
- Hang up that summer dress/bikini you want to feel and look awesome in. This is a simple but effective method used by many people I have trained over the years, it helps to focus the mind towards the task at hand when motivation starts to wander.
- Keep things exciting. The fastest route to quitting is to make it boring. Don’t do the same exercises all the time. If they’re making you yawn, that’s not good! Instead, make it varied and keep it exciting. There are so many activities out there that keep you fit, whilst offering high-adrenalin fun; such as kayaking, mountain-climbing and beach-running. Get experimenting and have a little fun with it.
- Join a local work-out group. Having other people around can really help to galvanise you into action. Plus, you can guarantee that they’ll be the ones calling you up and insisting you get exercising. Now that’s what we call a true friend.
- Never miss a Monday training session. I’ll say it again…NEVER MISS A MONDAY TRAINING SESSION. Whatever may have taken place over the weekend, if you always ensure a training session happens on Monday you are setting the tone for the rest of the week. In fact start strong, finish strong…and make sure you have a strong mid week too!
Set Your Goals… and Achieve Them!
Above all else, make sure you set yourself a goal, and keep reminding yourself why you want this so badly. That’s your best motivation, right there! Good luck!