Everyone from film stars to world-class athletes seems to be banging on about juicing at the moment. Sure, some of them aren’t in bad shape, but they haven’t got there from downing the odd glass of liquidized fruit and veg, have they? Well, certainly not without a lot of working out on the side. However, in spite of this, one thing’s for sure. You should never underestimate the power of the humble green. Get it right and juicing can be a game-changer.
What’s So Great About Juice?
Juicing doesn’t just help you to get your energy level back up after an intense workout. Get the right ingredients, and they can have a pretty intense effect on the body. Without too much fuss, simple produce can be transformed into a nutrient-packed super-drink. It’s a fast, easy way to get a mineral and vitamin boost – so it’s no wonder celebrity fitness fanatics around the world are raving about juicing.
You only have to look at glass of fresh, green juice to tell it’s not going to be a bad idea for your body, but what’s in it that’s so good for you? Let’s investigate.
- Electrolytes– Orange-coloured fruit and veggies like sweet potato and carrot are full of electrolytes, which can take the edge off muscle cramps, fatigue and headaches.
- Magnesium– Another one that’s good for post-workout cramps, you’ll get your fill of magnesium from juices with spinach, kale and other veg.
- Vitamin C – Keep your immune system on its toes with Vitamin C-packed juices with orange, kiwi fruit and broccoli.
Get Ready to Juice…
You don’t need to be Gordon Ramsay to throw together a decent juice. All you need is the right ingredients and – you guessed it – a juicer. Here are a couple of recipes to get you started.
- Green Machine. This one’s perfect if you’re looking for an energy boost and it’s full to the brim with vitamins and minerals. Just throw 3⁄4 cup fresh pineapple, 3 cups of baby spinach, 1 table spoon of fresh ginger and 1 medium cucumber into a juicer and enjoy.
- Brilliant Beetroot. Juice 1 beetroot, 1 carrot, 1 pineapple ring, 1 piece ginger, half a lemon and two apples for a refreshing, energising vitamin-boost.
- Kicking Carrot. For a blast of nutrients with a real kick, try 11 carrots, 1 piece of ginger, half a lime, a quarter-cup of coriander, a pinch of cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt.
Taking Your Fitness Regime to the Next Level
Juicing can be a brilliant part of a well-rounded fitness program. Visit our Categories menu for more great tips on how to get fit this summer.